Cubbon & Associates
Can you get hurt from chemicals or diseases in pools?
One thing that could put a damper on your summer is a parasitic infection. One that you may need to worry about is called cryptosporidium. This germ makes people sick and can cause severe diarrhea for up to three weeks. It could lead to dehydration and other health concerns as well.
While this germ is easy to pick up from infected public or private pools, it's more important to know what not to do to get rid of it. Chlorine doesn't work well to kill the germ, so no one should increase the amount of chlorine in the water in order to kill the germ. By increasing chlorine, you actually risk a more serious problem from chlorine gas.
In June 2015, a pool in California caused trouble when its high levels of chlorine started to affect those swimming. The pool had a chemical controller malfunction, and that means the sodium hypochlorite reacted to muriatic acid. That reaction created chlorine gas, which is toxic. It led to vomiting, coughing and eye irritation in the 34 people at the pool.
Chlorine poisoning symptoms vary depending on if the exposure is to the chemical directly or to the gas. The gas causes blurred vision, burning in the nose, eyes and mouth, coughing, fluid in the lungs and other side effects. Preventing these symptoms is easy if the person who owns the pool handles, stores and monitors chlorine levels appropriately.
If you're injured because a pool's owner doesn't take steps to keep the water clean or to keep chemicals at the appropriate levels, there are options available for you to pursue. Your attorney can help.